Bear's Mattress Firmness Guide
3 Most Common Firmness Levels
So, what is mattress firmness and why is it important? Very simply, firmness is how much a mattress pushes back on your body when you lay on it. Firm mattresses push back the most, while soft mattresses barely do, and in some cases just plain cave in. A firm mattress does not always mean a supportive mattress.
- Expect a less-hugging or contouring feeling
- Feels more “on top of” the mattress than “sinking in”
- The most stable and even surface
- The most universally liked
- Balanced, with just the right amount of sinkage, hug, and contour
- Preferred by those who change positions at night
- Best for couples
- The most returned type of mattress
- Plush, sinking-in feel
- Tends to sag quickly
- More likely to cause pain over time
Bear's Universal Comfort
The Sweet Spot
- The Goldilocks effect; the firmness is not too hard, not too soft, and is juuuust right.
- 4 out of 5 sleepers prefer this firmness.
- It’s the perfect blend of comfort and support.
- Provides proper spinal alignment without putting pressure on your hips and shoulders.
Firmness is Subjective
All The Feels
Aside from the firmness of a mattress, the materials it is made of change how the mattress feels to you. An all-foam mattress such as the Bear Original will contour to your body in a way that feels more like a contouring hug with durable support. While Hybrid mattresses that combine foam and coils like our Elite Hybrid, Star Hybrid, and Pro Hybrid models will provide a more luxurious feel with greater edge support.
Sleep On It
Over 10,000 Five-Star Reviews
With Bear’s preferred firmness level plus feel and cover options, there is the perfect Bear waiting for you. But, you don’t have to take our word for it. See what our verified buyers have to say.
What Team Bear Athletes Sleep On
JT Realmuto, Catcher
6’1”, 210 lbs, Side SleeperSleeps on Hybrid
Dagmara Wozniak, Olympic Saber Fencer
5'8", 190lbs, Combo SleeperSleeps on Pro Hybrid
Travis Brewer, Entrepreninja
5’7”, 150 lbs, Back SleeperSleeps on Original
Khamica Bingham, 100m Sprinter
5’4”, 140lbs, Combo SleeperSleeps on Hybrid
Brent McMahon, Triathlete
5’10”, 157lbs, Back SleeperSleeps on Pro Hybrid
Leah Russell, Acrobat
5’1”, ~100lbs, Stomach SleeperSleeps on Original
- Bear offers a range of mattresses between Medium and Medium-Firm, the most commonly preferred feel
- If you prefer the luxurious, innerspring hotel mattress or are just unsure, go with the Elite Hybrid or Star Hybrid mattress
- If you like a contouring and cradling feel, we suggest the Pro Hybrid or Bear Original mattress
Now, want to wake up refreshed?
Find the mattress that's right for you